Dealing with probate can be a complex and difficult process. We can help you through this process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf. We will also undertake the collecting and distributing of assets. Our prices are based on property and assets in the UK.
How much does this service cost?
At Robertsons we like to meet with our clients so that we can provide them with accurate quotes having regard to all the issues. Our fees are charged on a time spent basis subject to a minimum fee of £1,500 + VAT and disbursements. For example, the hourly rate for a Senior Probate solicitor is £225 + VAT.
VAT is currently at the rate of 20%.
TOTAL: £2,000 (+ VAT)
This includes: obtaining the grant, collecting assets and distributing them.
This fee relates to a simple estate containing the following:
- A property;
- 2 or 3 bank accounts;
- 1 or 2 shareholdings;
- One/two executors and one/two beneficiaries.
Breakdown of costs:
Legal fees - £2,000
VAT on legal fees - £400
Disbursements (information below) - £600 approximately
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. Some disbursements incur VAT as shown below:
- Probate Registry fee of £155 plus £1.50 per copy;
- Bankruptcy only Land Charges Department searches (£2 + VAT per beneficiary);
- Advert in the London Gazette and a local newspaper circulating in the area the deceased resided—protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors - £250;
- Estate Research Lost/Unclaimed Asset Search - £155 + VAT.
As part of our fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter;
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries;
- Accurately identify the type of application you will require;
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application;
- Prepare and complete the Application and the relevant HMRC forms;
- Make the application to the Probate Registry on your behalf;
- Obtain the Grant of Representation and send copies to you;
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate.